Although scheduled for a vote, SB47 was instead slightly amended this afternoon, starting with a new title. It still looks good to my unpracticed eye. Compare it to the original bill here and the re-written bill from last week. What do you all think?
AN ACT relating to livestock.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky:
SECTION 1. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 246 IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:
(1) Nothing contained in this chapter, or any other chapter of the Kentucky Revised Statutes, shall be construed to preclude:
— (a) Individuals from entering into the shared ownership of farm livestock or poultry and contractually prescribing the terms and conditions of livestock or poultry production, including the offspring, meat, processed or raw milk and milk products, fiber, and any other byproducts;
— (b) An individual from using or consuming the outgrowth of that individual’s farm livestock or poultry, including the offspring, meat, processed or raw milk and milk products, fiber, and any other byproducts; or
— (c) Individuals from entering into co-ownership contracts or agreements to purchase, train, race, or sell race horses.
(2) If a contract regarding the shared ownership of farm livestock or poultry is entered into, then no permit pertaining to that shared ownership shall be required by the department or any other state agency. Neither the department nor any other state agency shall have authority over contractual agreements for the shared ownership of farm livestock or poultry.
(3) Nothing contained in subsections (1) and (2) of this section shall be construed to abrogate the authority of:
— (a) The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission to inspect, investigate, and supervise horses and other participants in horse racing as provided in KRS Chapter 230 and the administrative regulations promulgated under KRS Chapter 230, or any other law applicable to the regulation of horse racing in the Commonwealth;
— (b) The Office of State Veterinarian to prevent, control, or eradicate any communicable disease of on-farm livestock or poultry as provided by KRS Chapter 257 and the administrative regulations promulgated under KRS Chapter 257, or any other law applicable to the prevention, control, or eradication of communicable diseases of on-farm livestock or poultry; or
— (c) A city, town, county, urban-county, charter county, consolidated local government, unified local government, or other political subdivision of the Commonwealth from adopting or having in effect any ordinance, resolution, rule, or regulation regarding the possession of livestock or poultry possession.
< /END >
This could come for a vote tomorrow (Wed) or Thursday, not sure. If you have not taken a minute (less than a minute) to call, please do. Call 800-372-7181 and request that your Senator “Please support Senate Bill 47!” (When I called yesterday, the woman who answered the phone took my address and figured out who my Senator is! So easy!)
Why all the fuss over SB 47? Because it:
- Guarantees your right to access meat, fresh milk and other products through shared ownership agreements with farmers for farm livestock;
- Removes the cloud of uncertainty hanging over the heads of many Kentucky farmers engaged in such arrangements;
- Provides another opportunity for young and beginning farmers across the Commonwealth to make a living from a small livestock operation;
- Makes healthy, locally produced food more accessible in rural food deserts.
Find your State Senator here: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/?&lvl=L.
Again, thank YOU for your efforts!
Next week: we work on the House! If you know a State Representative who will co-sponsor this bill in the House, please let us know asap!