UPDATE: Jan 7, 2012 This bill is being re-written.
UNOFFICIAL COPY AS OF 12/12/11 | 12 REG. SESS. | 12 RS BR 294
AN ACT relating to milk.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky:
Section 1. KRS 217C.030 is amended to read as follows:
As used in this chapter:
(1) “Secretary” means the secretary of the Cabinet for Health and Family Services;[.]
(2) “Cabinet” means the Cabinet for Health and Family Services;[.]
(3) “Permitted producer” means any producer issued a permit by the cabinet to offer milk for sale; and
(4) “Raw milk” means milk that has not been pasteurized.
SECTION 2. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 217C IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:
(1) A permitted producer may sell raw milk to a final consumer, for the consumer’s own use, at the farm on which the raw milk is produced.
(2) A permitted producer desiring to sell raw milk directly to a final consumer at the producer’s farm shall be in compliance with all applicable administrative regulations promulgated under this chapter.
(3) Each container of raw milk offered for sale or as free samples shall be:
(a) Bottled and packaged in a sanitary manner and by a method which prevents contamination, including the hand filling and capping of containers; and
(b) Clearly labeled as “Ungraded raw milk” or “Produced with ungraded raw milk.” The label shall carry any additional warnings and specifications the cabinet may require.
(4) Raw milk shall not be sold or offered as free samples at any location other than the farm on which the milk is produced.
This as stated is making available directly to a consumer, a product desired by a comsumer IN FULL AWARES of what is being purchased.
This should be allowed. My daughter didn’t have problems until I had to stop nursing due to a second pregnancy & I was asked to stop nursing. She was started on reg. milk but wasn’t thriving well. I chose to give raw milk from the farm, which has a higher fat content. My daughter began to thrive on it and gain weight back. That was over 30 years ago. She is now a healthy mom of 2 boys.